Public Diplomacy Initiative – Virtual Internship Corps
The COVID-19 crisis continues to shape our world and future. Restrictions to international travel leave limited opportunities for public diplomacy and international exchange at a time when it is most needed. With the support of the German Foreign Office, Cultural Vistas is launching the Virtual Internship Corps, which will provide young professionals the opportunity to develop their transatlantic networks and enhance their professional development during this critical moment.
Up to 25 U.S. students and young professionals will be selected to take part in an immersive virtual internship program with German companies, creating opportunities to improve language skills, gain intercultural experience, and appreciate the value of international collaboration. Participants in the Virtual Internship Corps will serve as public diplomats, contribute to international understanding, and help shape a secure future. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until August 15.
- Remote internship with an established German company in your career field
- Up to 12 weeks during the Fall 2020 semester, between September and late December
- Minimum 20 hours/week commitment, with degree of flexibility according to participant’s needs and in agreement with host company
- Projects and tasks are outlined by the host company in a training plan
- Participation in social media and blog project to highlight personal virtual internship experience
- Students and young professionals up to 30 years of age
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents
- Candidates from all career fields may apply
- German language skills encouraged, but not required
- Strong interest in German-American relations
- Previous internship experience in your desired field
- Participants are required to share at least 10 social media posts on the topics of intercultural insights and public diplomacy
- Each participant will write a short essay (1 page) on how they have contributed to public diplomacy efforts between both countries at the end of their experience
- Based on these contributions, up to 5 participants will be selected to receive a scholarship to complete an in-person internship in Germany in the summer of 2021
- Build a professional network in Germany and with your fellow program participants
- Virtual cultural events on topics of German culture and history
- A bi-weekly “Stammtisch”, bringing the participants together with young Germans and alumni of Cultural Vistas programs
- Admittance to transatlantic alumni community
This program is funded by the German Foreign Office and there is no program fee for accepted participants. A $25 application fee is due before Cultural Vistas evaluates a complete application, and no further costs will be required of participants.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – we look forward to answering your questions and receiving your application for the Public Diplomacy Initiative Virtual Internship Corps.